|DEV's Side Mod Final (5.0) - File Description
| Description: |
"DEV's Side Mod," by the eponymous Deviss, is a large (era) side mod featuring the Clone Wars.
The thrust of the mod is that it adds basically two eras to every stock map - one that uses a global clone legion (50X legion) and another that uses one of the more recognizable legions (212th, 501st, etc.) It also adds a handful of converted maps (Bespins and Rhen Vars) along with one previously-released map. There is also a hunt mode with Mandalorians versus clones that shows up on a handful of the maps.
What the mod does well:
I'll touch on this in both categories, but I think the sound that is done right here is done well. Several weapons have new sounds, and I like seeing sound work done (which made it all the more disappointing when I saw it not done). They don't all sound very "Star-Warsy," but it was nice to see new sounds nonetheless. I don't know that I agreed with the choice to use vehicle weapon sounds for some of the hand weapons, but diff'rent strokes.
I also thought it was nice to see the era names clearly delineate what was in each map. It's not a necessity, but in the many different rainbow-of-clones mods that we get, it was nice to be able to pick and choose from the instant action screen rather than guess (or simply have to remember).
This was sort've a double-edged sword, but I think the positives of this outweighed the negatives - I liked seeing the balance between the two different sides. Units for both the CIS and REP were very similar from team-to-team, and while this means that there wasn't a substantial difference between one team or the other, it did make for some well-balanced battles.
What I'd like to see different:
The units all pretty much felt the same. Each unit had so many different weapons that the uniqueness of each class was diluted. I think it's best when each of the classes plays differently, but when you start giving six or seven weapons to each unit it is almost an inevitability that you'll have to reuse lots of the same weapons for different classes. Keep it simple and make each class have a distinct feel.
The award weapons. Total gamebreakers. If you're playing on an awards profile, most units will have an award shotgun (and a couple others an award sniper rifle). Both of those weapons are absolutely incredibly overpowered. With the sniper rifle, it takes less than ten seconds to destroy a tank, and since the weapons don't overheat or have an ammo clip, you can just mash the button and walk through the maps at your leisure. Zero challenge. It was also strange to see so many units end up with an award shotgun when they didn't have a shotgun to start off with.
Visual inconsistency. I hate to compare mods, but I know when I was reviewing the earlier Ultimate Battlefront mod, one of the things I really liked was the consistent set of visuals between different units and legions. The reason I liked it was because it showed that (or at least made it feel like) the mod was the work of a single, coherent author (or team). Here, the units all have different visual styles - one unit will be relatively unscratched, some units will be very scratched, others will be dirty, others will have lots of addons, etc. It makes the mod look like an assets dump, which in my mind is a bad thing (since pretty much anyone can just cherrypick assets from a bunch of places). That's not to say that this is what this mod is, but it looks unprofessional to be so visually inconsistent.
The heroes didn't fit. The heroes seemed to all be stock heroes. Heroes should be rewards and they should be significantly more powerful than the infantry units. Since the units were mostly powered up (as with most side mods), the heroes felt like a waste of time to use.
There were still a couple bugs I found here, despite this mod being in its fifth(+) iteration. There were a couple floating HUD tags (I saw one unit that was completely missing a weapon mesh, too). There were sound errors - some weapons (notably arc caster weapons) were missing sounds, and none of the converted maps had fixed sounds.
On the subject of the extra maps, while it's always nice to see some maps added to a side mod, here they felt a little extraneous - they felt like they were added just to have "more." There wasn't a lot of rhyme or reason to the additions (only a couple of the BF1 maps were added, a random map was added, seemingly just because the source was open to the public), and the BF1 conversions were only partly done. I know I speak with a little bit of bias in that regard, having worked on the Conversion Pack, but it eats at me a little whenever I see half-done conversions of the SWBF1 maps after having spent as much time as I did to polish the SWBF1 maps for the Pack. On the other hand, I think the lighting setup for the Cloud City SWBF1 map here was better (or at least more accurate to the original) than the Cloud City with the Conversion Pack, so that's a plus.
All in all, it's a well done mod that has a pretty fair amount of content. While it feels like a lot was added just to have more "stuff," I'm sure it'll still be fun to the lots of people that like playing Clone Wars mods, and if you are one of those people, go ahead and give it a download, because I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
| || || |
|DEV's Side Mod Final (5.0) - Screenshots |
| Screenshots: |
|DEV's Side Mod Final (5.0) - File Download Options
Primary Download Locations:
| || Name: |
| Worldwide Mirror by FileFront |
| || || |
|DEV's Side Mod Final (5.0) - Readme |
| Readme File: |
0) Download the Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront II v1.3 Patch (Lite r117)(sorry but without it the game don't show the new eras )
1) Download the mod and unzip it, you will get ABC folder and ingame.lvl file
2) Put the ABC folder into your addon folder (C:Program FilesLucasArtsStar Wars Battlefront IIGameDataaddon)
3) play it and enjoy
* Sides added to all maps in modes: Conquest, Campaign, some Assault (eli)
* Added Order 66 to some maps now Jedi side less powerfull
* Removed some Award weapons for Republic but anyway you can win medals
* New maps: Both Bespins, Tatooine BF1, Rhen Var Citadel, Toola Frozen Tundra
* Added Melee attack for some clones
* Blue laser bolts for Republic
* New custom sounds for many republic weapons
* Added legions to all Campaigns
* Added Mandalorians mod on: Jabba's Palace and Mos Eisley
* Added 2 eras per Planet: Era X= 50th Delta Batallion, Era Y=legion acurate to planet
* No Award effect
* Mandalorian mode added to: tat3, tat2, bes2, rhn1
* Floating Icon fixed
* FPM customs for 327 legions, body, and some more
* Added Wrist FlameThrower to Mandalorian soldier
* Added Wrist Arccaster to Arc trooper
* Added CW era to Hoth
* AiHeroSupport on: Campaigns: mygeeto, Felucia, and some conquest maps also on Kamino assault mod
* Assault Kashyyyk: kill wookies
* Assault Naboo: kill gungans
* Assault Kamino: Clone Rebellion
* Red laser bolts for CIS
* Modified Bulldog RLR for win Sniper Medal
* Modified SFOR carbine for win Demolition Medal
* Modified Trishot (SBD) acurate to RC and for win Shotgun Medal
* Modified Chaingun for win Demolition Medal
* Modified CIS Sniper Rifle acurate to Clone Wars animated series
* Added new sounds for RC and SBD weapons
* Changed Blaster impact for some Republic weapons
* Added 2 differents DC-15 Rifles and Carbines
* Improved/Fixed many models
Special Persons Credits
* AceMastermind â€“ OOM-9â€™s model, Security droidâ€™s model, many modding and modeling help, FPM tuto, support me
* Aman/Pinguin - many assets from his tuskencamp asset release
* ANDEWEGET â€“ best job modeling, support me in all my crazy ideas, great friend
* archer01 - aiherosupport scripts
* AQT â€“ Help modding, mapping, skinning, 80% mod thanks to him, Great Friend
* ARC_Commander â€“ BFX Assets
* B.I.G_Cookie â€“ Many Skins, Great friend
* CodaRez - 41st Rocket Launcher, DC-15Side Arm, 212 antenna
* Coley - AIHeroSupport , modding help
* DarthD.U.C.K â€“ DT-57, DC-17 Holsters, Clone Commando
* Darth_Spiderpig â€“ Many skins, help, and Fix BF2 crashs problems, great friend
* DarthRogueKnight â€“ Many Skins
* Darth_Z13 â€“ Toola Frozen Tundra map
* Delta-1035 â€“ Many Skins
* Dragonum â€“ Bly original model, 327th sniper model, DC-15side arm
* Fai222 â€“ SFOR carbine
* FragMe - FPM template models helping HD, personal support help
* Icemember - many skins, many models, great friend
* Inyri Forge - fordo's pistol texture
* KinetosImpetus - rex's pauldron
* Labj - Many skins
* Lord Bertie â€“ WESTAR-M5
* Manderek â€“ BX droid commando
* Maveritchell - many modding help also support me xD
* Mordocr and Moving_Target - Old ARC gun
* Neo Exelor â€“ Senate DC-15 Rifle
* NeoMarz - Clone ultima pack assets
* Pahricidas â€“ DC-15 Blaster Rifle
* Qdin, Vyse â€“ Codyâ€™s visor
* OOM-9 â€“ DC-15 Carbine
* RepSharpShooter - DC-15ex, rep's pauldron, HD, floating icon fix
* Skyhammer_216 â€“ lua scripting, many effect, some weapons models
* SoM3 - DC-15 Carbineâ€™s model, DC-14s Shotgun
* Satti â€“ Skins
* Syth â€“ Skins, his ep3 version, some grenade models
* Teancum â€“ Bespin Plataforms
* VF501 â€“ DC-17m weapons, Underhand Chaingun, clone comando base
* Wazmol â€“ Fordoâ€™s pistols model
* YaNkFaN â€“ Laats Ambush in geonosis battlefield
* ]v[ - eli assault layers
|DEV's Side Mod Final (5.0) - User Comments
The following comments are owned by the user that posted them. Star Wars Battlefront Files is not responsible for their content.
Total comments: 38 | Last comment: 12-01-2012 at 10:20
Click the symbol to expand all comments (view full comments)
When posting comments, you must follow these rules:
The high interactivity of this site should be considered a luxury, not a right. If you cannot follow these simple rules, you can and will be warned or banned from the comments, site or the entire network for any period of time.
- No "Yay I got First Post!" posts, no exceptions and no matter what other content the post has!
- No Pornographic Material. Any sexually oriented imagery or links to such content will not be tolerated.
- No Warez or Illegal Software. This includes linking to software, posting about it, and suggesting to get it.
- No Cursing or Swear words. We encourage you to use our comment sections as a forum to debate files, news, etc., but please use proper adjectives to express yourself. We will not tolerate abuse upon another member or author.
- No Attacks / Retaliation of any kind against a member, or group of members.
- Please do not advertise for other sites or forums here.
- Maximum of 3 smileys per regular member.
Now enjoy yourself and behave!